Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Ringing in the 30th

In all honesty, I thought that my birthday would pass as another day with an occasional "Happy Birthday" from colleagues.  Living 5000 miles away from those that I love, I didn't expect that this year's birthday celebrations would be eventful much less different from a normal day.  I was okay with that as it just seemed to be the fact of the matter.  In fact, when I got on the van on my birthday morning, when people wished me a happy birthday, I was surprised because I had quickly forgotten it was my birthday.  Happy and I arrived at school and we began our day.  My day proceeded as normal.  After I completed teaching math, I was getting the students ready to do a read aloud when Danielle, her class, and Ms. Hanan came walking in and started to sing me happy birthday.  In fact, I the student sang to be in three different languages; French, Arabic, and English.  We celebrated with a cake from my favorite bakery Le Pain de Quotiden.


At lunch time, Mr. F called me on his way to work.  We were talking via Skype when he asked me if I saw the workout for today.  I told him I had glanced at it, and it looked nasty.  I pulled it up to take a closer look and that is when I noticed it was 'Lexie's 30th Brithday Celebration" workout.  I laughed.  Of course, when I got home, I had to complete the workout myself as well!  I am glad that my Triumph Family got to celebrate with me.


I was able to FaceTime with Chad on the morning of my birthday.  He had made me a special birthday card that I plan to keep in a special box.  He was in a sweet and tired mood as he was just waking up.  Talking with Chad was a highlight of my day.  As always.



When Happy and I got home from work, I got off the elevator and noticed my door had been decorated by Ms. Anna!  It was fun to see that I was loved by so many people.  I do believe that my 30 is still up on my door:) That night, Anna made lasagna for my birthday dinner with friends.  We ate, chatted and enjoyed the evening filled with friendship and fun.  Danielle had purchased a present for me in London.  I officially have a summer set of jammies "Rollin with my Gnomies" complete with gnomes and mushrooms.


My sister had been sneaky when they were visiting and had left a present with cards from her family and my parents.  She messaged me to tell me to look on Happy's top shelf in her bedroom.  I found this.


On a day that should have felt ordinary and passed without many surprises, I felt so incredibly loved from neighbors as well as my family 5000 miles away.  They managed to cross oceans and break the barrier of distance and ring in my birthday with a ton of love.  Claire decided to wear my jammie top to bed.  She loved it.  She was so tuckered out from the night that she fell asleep sitting up attempting to watch Minnie Mouse.  

Silly Straw Nose!


We closed the birthday celebration with a Friday night rooftop gathering.  Many people from Nakhil and ASM joined us to celebrate.  I was surprised with flowers from my friend Jill as well as a land made lavender sachet from Louise.  Aisha and I are going to have a mani/pedi date together at Les Bains de Marrkech one weekend in celebration.  As we were winding down after cake made Anna, she had brought up a painting for me.  The painting is my favorite painting I will bring home from Morocco.  She has Claire and Maia do a bunch of red handprints and mix green paint to make me a Moroccan flag.  All over the flag, friend wrote lovely birthday wishes to me.  It was incredibly touching gesture.  The best gifts are always those that are made with love just for you.




Danielle and I

Anu and I

Batwoman Happy!

The kids!



My Moroccan Flag

I can't explain how the messages, hidden cards, special workout, decorated door, special dinner, and silly jammies made me feel. I know it sounds silly, but when you are missing those closest to your heart because the distance between you is literally oceans and continents-- it is really a wonderful feeling to know you are loved and valued by those people just down the hall or up the stairs as well as loved and valued by those people you temporarily left behind when we chose to move our family overseas.  I never thought I would have such an amazing community of friends and blessed with such a wonderful family.

It will be hard to leave the people who have become family here in Morocco.  The friendships that developed so quickly and they feel like friends I have had for a lifetime.  On the other hand, living this life without my boys is the one thing that will bring me home.  This life is meant to be shared with those who full my cracks with light.  One day we will return as a whole Comfort-Fonseca Clan and continue to,live grand adventures!

We love and miss you all at home!

xo

Lex

1 comment:

  1. We are so glad that you had such a great birthday! You deserve it! We love you so much!

    ReplyDelete