Monday, August 26, 2013

Hi Ho! Hi Ho! Back to Work I Go!

Enjoying Moroccan Tea Sitting in one of my Classroom Windows

My summer has officially ended, yet more adventures remain!  It has been an amazing summer filled with experiences I will surely never forget. My alarm went off this morning at 6am which meant it was time to go back to work. I rolled out of bed, readied myself and Chad and we loaded the charter bus at 8:30am with all of the other new expats from our complex.  We drove out of Marrakech and through the desert for about 15 minutes.  We passed many villages living in poverty with no potable water.  Which upon arriving to school, we learned due to the distance from Marrakech, we do not have potable water either... at least for a few months.  A crew has just been hired to bring potable water to the villages and the crew.  In time...

When we arrived, we drove through a large gate and Chad and I could see our new school.  It is definitely apart of the "Red City." (Every building in Marrakech is red because it absorbs the heat.)  There is a large grass area out front with soccer goals and a mixture of grass and dirt surrounding other areas.  Our school is KG0 (2 years old) up to 12th grade.  They are separated into two wings;  the upper school and the lower school. 

The American School of Marrakesh
Hallway Corridors

Upon arriving we were greeted by the ASM administration team and provided a welcome breakfast and the nitty gritty with paperwork, etc...  After we completed the portion of that meeting, we toured the school.  I will have pictures to post at a later date, but please, let me describe many of the wonders to you!  As Mouad, the Lower School Coordinator, took us around the school, I was pleased to see my own classroom that will be equipped with new chairs and desks this week.  There is a KG area for the kinders and I got to see where Claire will attend KG0.  The colors were vibrant and the playgrounds were filled with olive trees and new playground equipment!  Chad ran out and played immediately.  I have never seen him so excited to let go of me.  The walkways between classrooms and extracurriculars are open to the outdoors with windows and doorways and we have large Moroccan windows open to the courtyards and lunch area. 

Assigned Picnic Tables for Lunch Time
Claire's KG0 Entry

Claire's KG0 Classroom

Claire's KG0 Classroom
One of the Playgrounds

We traveled upstairs to the library, copy room, teachers lounge, computer labs and the upper school classrooms.  The library was beautiful.  A huge Moroccan window took up an entire wall separating two rooms in the library.  Shelves were filled with books flowing all the way up the ceiling.  We then headed to copy room. 






Now, the copy room is not what I am used to in The States.  The copy room is a place where I submit copies to a team of people and they copy FOR me.  Yes, I do not copy my own papers, laminate my posters, or bind my own booklets.  There are people hired to do that!!  That takes a whole load off my shoulders considering time management.  We headed to the teacher's lounge which happens to be rather large.  A huge fridge, kitchen area, tables and coffee machine sit in another area.  Now, the kicker to the teacher's lounge is we have a large double-winged terrace off the teacher's lounge equipped with picnic tables and all.  Room to really relax and enjoy the Moroccan sun!  The funny thing about the terrace is that teachers are allowed to smoke on the terrace.  Coming from The States, I obviously find this rather odd. 

Teacher's Lounge

Enjoying Lunch on the Teacher's Terrace

Student Dismissal Area with Grade Level Benches
After the tour, we were provided a traditional Moroccan lunch.  It was a 3 course meal that tasted wonderful and there was no sparing!  We started with flat bread and different types of stew and olives.  We then were given a Moroccan chicken that was rather large in size, I stole some of Jill's vegetarian dish that consisted of potatoes, zucchini, carrots, and bell peppers. I would eat that dish daily if I could!  We ended with platters full of watermelon, honey dew, and grapes.  I was one happy girl after lunch. 

There is a lot of construction and cleaning happening right now at ASM, but completion is near.  They are a growing school, still hiring people to come join the team.  ASM staff has been incredibly welcoming and kind ensuring we are comfortable and taken care of. 

After today, I walked off the bus back at our apartment complex the most relaxed I have ever felt going back to work.  I will be teaching first grade, with AERO standards, 15 students and a full time assistant.  My assistant will be able to make copies, grade, teach, help students, and is responsible for walking my students to and from specials.  My students will receive instruction in music, physical education, Arabic, and art.  There are teachers provided to instruct my students in each of these areas.  I am solely responsible for core curriculum areas.  I am happy I have decided to bring Chad and Claire to Marrakech to experience and gain world perspective as well as receive instruction that the economy in The States is unable to provide at this time.  Not a stress exists at this point.  Chad is happy and was asking at lunch time when he could leave to go play with his new friends again. 

Chad Outside the School

With all of the work conditions changing from what I am used to, I find myself at ease.  Life here in Marrakech is much different than life in The States.  The driving is awful here, filled with mopeds, taxis, cars, buses, horses pulling carriages, and donkeys pulling trailers.  They stop at red lights, but that is about it.  The honk to warn each other they are near, but anything else goes.  Chad asked "why do they drive like this?"  We walk around when we can, but at times need to get a petite taxi to travel further.  I am learning the phrase "Ana mashi tourist" which means "I am not a tourist" so they don't try to over charge when they refuse to start the meter.  The people here work at a much more relaxed state than the hustle and bustle in The States.  It is rather refreshing at times.  The business open in the morning, close for a while for tea, then re-open in the evening.  I noticed at school today that the construction workers brought their tea kettles, propane, tea and tea cups.  It is a huge part of the culture here.  They drink tea 7-10 times a day.

Last night I was able to talk with Claire on FaceTime and she had a lot to say to me.  We enjoyed our time, but it makes it incredibly difficult to hang up and find sleep.  My excitement for their arrival is intense.  Counting down the days...

I will post more pictures of the school where I am able to take more photos showing the detail.  I will also take pictures of some of the other cultural differences that I find amusing here-- that fun post will be up soon.  Love you all.

xo


Lexie

1 comment:

  1. Sounds fantastic Lexie. Keep the pictures coming! XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete