Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The Flood


The past couple of nights Marrakech has had rain.  A rarity, but honestly, it has been rather lovely.  Marrakech tends to be hot and standing can make you break out in a sweat.  In the mornings, I have been wearing a cardigan to work, opening my windows to allow the fresh air to pass through and my students have been complaining it is cold.  Cold for Marrakech? Absolutely, but they need to acclimate right?!  Well, tonight was a different story.  I noticed that the rain started coming down pretty hard and I became fascinated showing Joe the rain as if he has never seen rain and lightning.  I just kept repeating-it doesn’t rain here often.  This is amazing.  I decided to relax on the couch and listen to the rain fall against our windows.  Soon, after, I heard a river.  This was cause for concern.  I walked my way through our apartment hoping not to find a huge leak somewhere.  Our apartment was clear.  As I neared the front door, the river became louder like rapids.  I opened the door and water was streaming down the stairs.  Now, my first thought was not ‘oh no.’ Rather, it was genuinely confused I asked myself ‘Is this normal’ because I have quickly discovered here that weird things are normal.  I decided to knock on Romy’s door and when she answered, her face said it all.  I barely got the words ‘Is this normal’ out of my mouth before Romy headed for her squeegee.  Apparently, this was not the cleaners nor was this normal.  Romy and I began shoving water down the stairs to the next floor.  We could hear other expats upstairs completing the same task and expats downstairs like an assembly line.  As soon as Romy and I caught up to the water, more would come rushing down. 
Penny and I are working feverishly to try to beat the water!
 
 
 Our floor has four apartments, which three of them are occupied.  Initially, it was just Romy and I with our squeegees, but in no time, the Moroccan couple next to me peeked through the door and were appalled by what they saw as well.  I used my sign/body language to convey that they water from the door was flooding in.  She grabbed her squeegee and joined.  Her husband (in very sophisticated paisley printed pajamas) navigated up and down the stairs trying to do something I have yet to determine.  For an hour, Hawaii, Moroccan and Oregon all came together to squeegee the water from the tile floor.  Cultures coming together!  People were taking towels up to the top floor trying to barricade the source of the water entry.  Apparently, in a city that does not receive a lot of rain, buildings are not constructed to be prepared for that heavy of a rainstorm.  Unfortunately, I am assuming that our elevators will be out of service for a while as buckets of rain were running down the shafts.  If they are in service, I think I will steer clear for a while.  I don’t want to be the resident that discovers that they are not really working.  We have two drains on the rooftop, but they could not handle the load.  Therefore, the water entered the building via the three inch gap at the bottom.  I am one towel shorter, but now I am peacefully lying in bed.  I am sure that I will sleep with one eye open listening for more water as more rain is expected.  We all agreed to wake one another up if more flooding began.   
Hopefully this will be the last of the floods!  Marrakech suffered some damage to homes, personal belongings and our elevators are dead for the time being. 
 
Hope all is well at home!
 
xo
 
Lexie

No comments:

Post a Comment