Monday, September 30, 2013

TWO DAYS!


ind myself sitting in bed giddy with excitement for the arrival of my family in a matter of days.  At 7:09am Pacific Time; 3:09 Rabat time, my family is boarding a plane and joining me in building memories here in Morocco.  Those of you who know me well enough, I have spent a lot of the last week (okay maybe twoJ) getting the apartment, the pantry, the toys, etc… ready so when Joe and Claire arrive, the feel at least slightly at home.  This past weekend, Chad and I made a trip with my friend Romy to Marjane, Kitea, and Mr. Briccolage in search of patio chairs for the balcony.  We love spending time outside barbequing, playing games, and relaxing, so one of the most important purchases to us is to create that space.  After looking at two stores, I dragged Romy to Kitea (AKA Ikea).  Romy and I walked around Kitea and we finally landed in the outdoor furniture.  We spotted a group of tables for rather inexpensive considering it came with two chairs and a table.  Chad decided on blue instead of green, white, or orange.  So, we ordered the table, paid and the men from the back delivered the items to us out front.  I am sure you can picture tiny little me and tiny little Romy walking out of Kitea up a couple of sets of stairs to the main road trying to flag a taxi.  Chad of course, was grabbing the corner of my box trying to help and practicing his grunting.  Here is our new addition to the patio.



Now, the next purchase this month is a BBQ.  We are in dire need of a BBQ so Joe can continue to impress me with his grilling skills.  I wish I could express how excited I am to be able to wrap my arms around my Happy girl and kiss her adorable face. 
 

Today, we jumped on the school bus at our normal 6:55am time and did our normal drive to school.  Through the hustle and bustle of Gueliz past the Medina and out of town quite a few miles.  Upon arriving, my list of to do’s was 15 items long and my brain was determined to get the majority of them done because I don’t want to be overwhelmed with things to do when my entire family is here.  It is time for continued fun and adventures.  I got straight to work, multitasked like no one’s business and completed at least ¾ of my tasks before lunch.  Unfortunately, Monday’s bring lunch duty for me.  Ugh.  No one likes lunch duty—ever!  To top it off, I have duty at the basketball courts, which is one of the most dreaded areas because it is directly in the sun with limited shade = sweaty teacher and the soccer games on the basketball court get a little heated because the kids are incredibly competitive.  However, today, I decided to soak it all in.  While I was standing in my 6 inches of shade next to the basketball pole I saw a lot of laughing, playing, smiling, and kindness mixed in with a (very) limited amount of sportsmanship.  Most of the soccer players are 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders.  However the 1st graders often like to actually play basketball on the basketball court (imagine that!).  So, you have a soccer game of big kids happening half court to goal and a basketball game perpendicular to that.  Every time, I cringe knowing someone is going to get nailed.  However, school policy seems to be “eh whatever.’ So I roll with it.  Not only did I see a first grader get nailed in the shoulder and head with a kicked soccer ball I also noticed that the first grader 1) Never complained to me.  (That is just awesome.) 2) Didn’t cry. 3) Just moved on with life.  So, I think that many, if not all children could learn a lesson from him today.  “Expect things to happen when you are playing but just keep on playing.”  Another kiddo today was playing basketball when he tripped and fell.  I am certainly sure it hurt.  I just watched him to see if he was going to react or need assistance, but what I saw was even more amazing and further agrees with the reason to just sit back and let kids figure it out.  Two big kids stopped their soccer game mid-stride.  They walked over to the 1st grader, helped him and patted him on the back and said ‘It is just fine.  You are okay.’ And then ran back to join their game.  Kindness, culture, strength.  I was a little blown away by this, but apparently it is normal here.  They care for each other.  I hope that my children learn to be a lot like these children in many ways. 

Sometimes my students crack me up. First, their accents in the English Language make most of what they are saying incredibly cute- when I can understand them. 

Hassan to Ryan: Ryan, you always sit next to me.

Ryan: smiles.

Hassan: You- you are like a cat.

I found Hassan’s reasoning rather interesting.  He is right, Ryan just always makes his way over to Hassan, just like a cat. 

Chad has been working on building a lot of forts still.  He is ready to have Joe here so Joe can help him build a Moroccan fort—neither Chad nor I know what that is but we are betting Joe certainly does.  Chad has also been practicing the skill of the Armpit Fart and the Knee Crevice Fart—A LOT.  I mean A LOT.  I hear random squeeks and squeals often.  It is similar to a cat with a bell on its collar, I always know where Chad is and where he is going.  He is the opposite of stealth these days.  He has been incredibly patient and awesome in all of the moments of crazy.  One morning, my friend Jill woke me up when she text me to see if I was coming to school that day.  My initial thought was, well of course, until I looked at the time. 7:09am. The LAST bus, a couple blocks away comes at 7:15am.  We made it, without water, but dressed and with food.  We made it through the day somehow.  Friday of last week, we had a professional development day that was filled with meetings and strategy review/teaching.  Chad decided to stay at the apartment complex with a friend and his dad.  When I picked him up, he was really disappointed to go home. They apparently played tennis on the roof, watched movies, played with legos, etc.  Now anytime I see if he is ready to go, he asks to go to Laiad’s and Diego’s to play. 

That was the first time we were away from each other in 6 weeks.  On the way home from school that day, I had a panic moment thinking I forgot Chad.  Each person on the bus asked where he was… we are like Thelma and Louise without the car driving off the cliff. 

I am thinking this weekend that a trip to Oasiria with the kids may be in order so Claire and Joe can just have some relaxation time and play time.  I am sure Chad will want to go back especially with his sister!  I am sorry for the lack of blog posting this week and a half.  I am sure I will be posting gobs of pictures and stories again once Joe and Claire arrive as Chad and I will be back out and about seeking fun and adventure with Joe and Claire in tow.  You guys will be awfully sick of my stories by then I am sure!:)

 

We hope all is well at home.  There are times I wish I could drag all of you wonderful people here to experience and see what we have the opportunity to see.  Keep in mind, you are always welcome.
 
Xo
 
Lexie

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy that you are all together again! Kiss the kiddos for me and puch them on! XO Mom

    ReplyDelete